Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012 Crystal Ball Blog, Part 4: The End of the World

I caught last night’s edition of TVO’s “The Agenda with Steve Paikin”. The topic under discussion was the End of the World, and the panel was fantastic. Paikin kicked things off with references to the global hype around the Mayan calendar’s seemingly abrupt end on December 12, 2012. None of the panellists were prepared to offer their agreement regarding the proposed date of the end of times.

All of this got me thinking that I seemed to have missed out on prognosticating about December 21st, 2012, and the end of the world, when I was writing my earlier Crystal Ball Gazing blogposts. Cue palm-to-forehead.

Look, the end of days is of significant interest to me. I mean, who can’t help but be fascinated by the end of the world? Apocalyptic prophecy today continues to inform so many decisions which are being made at the highest levels of government, it’s hard for a political junkie like me to ignore. Smiley-face.

I mean, if you’re going to get into the game of political predictions, it seems entirely appropriate this year to make the call for December 21, 2012. After all, any amateur can predict the winner of the Stanley Cup (which I did in Part 3 of my recent series, and which I’m already starting to regret, given that the Dallas Stars are currently sitting two points out a playoff spot in the West right now), but it would take a real Nostradamus (or a better-than-the-real-Nostradamus) to call the exact date of the end of everything.

Given my past successes with predictions, really, I have little to lose by making the call about the end of the Mayan calendar. So, in this the fourth (and final) instalment of my Crystal Ball Gazing blog series, I’m giving you my frank forecast for December 21, 2012. Can I get a drum roll please?


(…Drum Roll…)


Cloudy, with a chance of showers.


(opinions expressed in this blog post are my own and should not be considered to be in keeping with those of the Green Party of Canada)

No comments: